Saturday, August 9, 2014

Branded {by Abi Ketner and Missy Kalicicki}

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20647319-branded
Title: Branded
Authors: Abi Kenner and Missy Kalicicki
Series: Sinners, #1
Rating: 2 out of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
 

Fifty years ago The Commander came into power and murdered all who opposed him. In his warped mind, the seven deadly sins were the downfall of society. 
To punish the guilty, he created the Hole, a place where sinners are branded according to their sins. Sinners are forced to live a less than human existence in deplorable conditions, under the watchful eye of guards who are ready to kill anyone who steps out of line.
Now, LUST wraps around my neck like thick, blue fingers, threatening to choke the life out of me. I’ve been accused of a crime I didn’t commit, and the Hole is my new home. 
Constant darkness. 
Brutal and savage violence. 
Excruciating pain. 
Every day is a fight for survival. 
But I won’t let them win. I will not die in the Hole.
I am more than my brand. I’m a fighter. My name is Lexi Hamilton, and this is my story.

 
I have mixed feelings about this book. While I did finish it, there were many times when I considered not finishing. I just, I don't know. It was frustrating at many points, but ultimately was interesting. 
Branded starts with an interesting concept. In a futuristic society where the Commander has taken over, the modern day judicial system has been overthrown. Instead, sinners are "branded"--a different color depending on which of the seven deadly sins they have committed. Except, they just have to be accused, not proven. Which means innocents, like Lexi, also find themselves in the Hole (oooh, ominous...). 
My biggest issue I think was that, for the longest time, I didnt know what was going on. There is a difference between an aura of mystery, and just being frustratingly annoying. Nothing was explained, and Lexi didn't do anything. 
Another thing I hated, and almost made me stop reading (many a time) was the forbidden romance. I realize some people love forbidden romances, but I just can't stand them. Not to mention, it just made both main characters, Lexi and Cole, make dumb decision. This could have been so much more, about the actual rebellion, but instead it was a lot of romantic tension, staring into each other eyes, and a rushed ending. I didn't find the romance believable, and I did not enjoy it. 
Also, the plot pacing. The beginning dragged on, and then the ending, the rebellion, was really rushed. I was bored enough that, like I mentioned, I almost gave up. But, the end was enough to keep me reading just to find out what happened. 
It was a unique concept, but I just think it could have been executed much better. While the ending did make it a little better, I still am not sure that I would read the second book. 
 
 
Abi Ketner and Missy Kalicicki:

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Abi's Goodreads | Missy's Goodreads







No comments:

Post a Comment