Friday, December 5, 2014

Sacrifice {by Brigid Kemmerer}

Title: Sacrifice
Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Series: Elemental #5
Genre: YA Fantasy
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Received via NetGalley

One misstep and they lose it all. For the last time.
Michael Merrick understands pressure. He's the only parent his three brothers have had for years. His power to control Earth could kill someone if he miscalculates. Now an Elemental Guide has it in for his family, and he's all that stands in the way.
His girlfriend, Hannah, understands pressure too. She's got a child of her own, and a job as a firefighter that could put her life in danger at any moment.
But there are people who have had enough of Michael's defiance, his family's 'bad luck'. Before he knows it, Michael's enemies have turned into the Merricks' enemies, and they're armed for war.
They're not interested in surrender. But Michael isn't the white flag type anyway. Everything is set for the final showdown.
Four elements, one family. Will they hold together, or be torn apart?

Michael Merrick. My favorite of the brothers, and the one who's story I wanted most. Michael has taken care of his little brothers since their parents' deaths. He has basically given up his dreams to keep his family together, and the fight against people who think he's incompetent is never-ending. Michael is close to breaking from all the pressure.
 
This one was a little more sad, as one thing after another comes against Michael and the Merricks. As if it isn't enough that Guides are after them to kill them, their house has been destroyed, DHS is after them, and Hannah's father as named Michael as a prime bombing suspect. I mean, that would be a lot for any 23-year-old.
 
Like Nick in Secret, Michael starts to learn that he doesn't need to hold everything together by himself. His brothers are growing up, and can handle themselves. I liked how the brothers came together to protect each other and themselves. Family has always been my favorite part of this series, and I'm so glad to see it showcased.
 
I didn't really like Hannah's parts. This has been the only one with any sort of love triangle, but Hannah seemed really immature for someone who was so much older than any of the other characters. It is something she realizes, and begins to change, but I could care less about her. (Is that mean? Oops.)
 
Although this one is filled with the same suspense and action as all the others, actually probably even more action, I was not satisfied with the ending. After 4 books and 3 novellas of build-up, it finished abruptly and flatly. I felt nothing was really settled or finished. While I don't need everything to be spelled out or set in stone, I feel like the ending didn't really deal with anything. Nothing was concluded.
 
Except for the ending, I enjoyed this story as it was everything I've come to expect from the Merricks.


My reviews of ElementalStormSpark, Spirit, Breathless, Secret

The books:

The novellas:
 
This review can also be found on   Goodreads


Brigid Kemmerer:

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this book too, but I wasn't as thrilled with it as the other books in the series (which I LOVED). Totally agree with your assessment.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete